After the resignation of MP David Cameron the by-election for the Witney seat, which includes Chipping Norton, is on Thursday 20th October. In 2015 the Conservatives won with 60.2%, Labour were second on 17.2%.
The candidates declared as of 25th September are:
- Conservative – Robert Courts, a barrister and West Oxfordshire District Councillor since 2014, living in Bladon, selected from a from a shortlist of three candidates.
- Labour – Duncan Enright, a businessman and West Oxfordshire District and Town Councillor in Witney, who stood against Cameron in the last two elections, coming second in 2015.
- Liberal Democrats – Liz Leffman, also a West Oxfordshire District Councillor (for Charlbury and Finstock) and businesswoman, who stood in 2005 and came second.
- Green Party – Larry Sanders, a former Oxfordshire County Councillor and past Chair of Oxfordshire Healthwatch.
- UKIP – Kenrick (Dickie) Bird, an ex-soldier, stood as a parliamentary candidate in Banbury in 2015, coming third.
- English Democrats – Winston McKenzie, who contested Croydon North in 2015.
- The Eccentric Party of Great Britain – Lord Toby Jug, says he is the only candidate who admits to being mad.
- Helen Rachel Salisbury – National Health Action Party.
- One Love Party – Emilio Rose Arno.
- Bus-pass Elvis Party – David Laurence Bishop.
- Monster Raving Loony Party – Mad Hatter.
- Independent – Adam Digby Knight.
- Independent – Daniel James Skidmore.
- Independent – Nicholas Ward
The full result will be published in the November issue of Chipping Norton News.